Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kid Projects

There are a lot of things that surprise me about how I mother. I always thought that I would be one of those mothers that was always doing craft projects with my children, since I love crafty things and I always wanted to do them as a kid. To my surprise, I am not. In fact, we rarely do them. I can think of a million reasons why I don't do them: because they make a mess, and that I never have a big block of time that I can dedicate to doing a project with the kids. Then there is also the fact that when everyone needs my help at the same time, I don't do so well with that. Plus I have boys...there are a lot of craft projects for girls, but not so many for little boys....and I could go on, but I won't. Anyway, last Christmas, I got the boys kits to make little a little plane and helicopter that have propellers that move through the use of a solar panel. We actually got around to doing it last week. They were really too young to put it together, but they enjoyed painting it, and although the picture is lame, they turned out pretty cute and actually work. (Not bad for $3).
Ellie got to do her own project the other day....a foam mosaic. Cute huh?
You know, the biggest surprise to me that we do is playdates...we have them ALL the time. We never did that when I was a kid...I don't know if it was where we lived (we didn't have neighbors) or if my parents weren't as social as we are...anyway...I feel like we get plenty of play dates, and the kids have many friends, but I am not sure they appreciate it as much as they should (because really, this is all new to me... and keeping 3 kids busy with play dates is a lot of running around). It's worth it though, they only get one childhood...I just hope I am doing it well for them....

3 comments:

Lana Lulu Handmade said...

as long as they are enjoying themselves and learning how to treat others right then you are doing a great job as a mother. BTW, here is a link I found if you wanted to make a dress for ellie out of old shirts. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.0%3C/a

I believe the girl here is around 2 or 3. So I am sure it will fit. (If Joe's shirts are long enough htat is.)

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I have a tower of crafty stuff for the boys to use, but we rarely do. They are always asking, but I don't want to for the same reasons you listed.

I'm currently in playdate debt. My kids frequently go over to other kids homes, but kids rarely come over to our house.

I don't bite, really!

Koni Frost said...

You're such a great mom!

I rarely had playdates either. I think my Mom figured that I could play with my 7 other siblings.

How was school today for the kids?