Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer is for Swimming

...at least in our neck of the woods. Ellie just finished her second round of swim lessons with "Miss Lori" and she did great! She learned to swim with her face in the water this time around and so now she can swim about 15 feet by herself! She also learned to float and swim on her back...which is a really big step for her. Good job Ellie!



We try to go swimming a lot in the summer...it is a good excuse for the kids to get some physical exercise and to play with other kids at the pool. This year we haven't gone to the pool quite as often as other years....probably because Nate is so much work at the pool. The boys love to swim though, and can move throughout the pool (even in the deep end) as they want.



We try to go swimming a lot in the summer...it is a good excuse for the kids to get some physical exercise and to play with other kids at the pool. This year we haven't gone to the pool quite as often as other years....probably because Nate is so much work at the pool. The boys love to swim though, and can move throughout the pool (even in the deep end) as they want. Its nice to not have to worry about them.



The other day we went out to our land and the kids and I went swimming in the "lake." (Personally, I would call it more of a pond/swamp). Since we are in a serious drought, the lake is down quite a bit, so the boys could walk all the way to the island. I hadn't previously swam in the water (I was pregnant the last time everyone did and I wasn't interested). The bottom of the lake is so soft that I sunk to mid calf in the dirt/ muck. I tried not to complain too loudly though, because this kids were really enjoying it, and seriously this will probably prove to be one of their more fond ongoing memories of childhood. (I don't want them to remember with it that mom was a complainer).

Ellie just swam around, while the boys pulled up handfuls of mud and threw it at each other. Luckily they were both wearing goggles so their eyes were protected.

Nate liked the water if he was fully in it...he wanted me to let go of him, but I wouldn't. Then I put him in the floatie and he wanted to drink the water (yuck). Pretty soon we opted to sit on the side and he didn't really like the mud on the side. Oh well, you can't make everyone happy.

I did get to walk on the island for the first time. It looks just like the rest of the land, but there are a lot of holes from whatever animal lives over there.

Hmmm, school is starting in a week and so we won't have as much time for swimming. We sure will miss it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'all may not have time for swimming, but momma will have lots more time with only two little ones at home.

Texas Harveys said...

We really missed swimming with y'all this year! Totally jealous that Ellie can swim...we miss Ms. Lori!

Bethany said...

Good for you, Nanette! I often wonder how I'm marring my children's memories.