Monday, March 22, 2010

Rather anecdotal

Just a few minutes ago I got ready to make lunch and this is what I found. No, we do not have mice, its just that Nate decided he would like some bread and so he helped himself. He is quite proficient and finding the stool and pushing it up to the counter and helping himself to whatever is there. Unfortunately, with the stool he can reach the knives, which hasn't caused any injuries, but I have found him wielding a knife before.
He also likes to get into the pantry and feed himself. We use a superpail to hold the bread flour and he has found that he can climb on top and get to 3 or 4 shelves and all the food items on them. You would think this would be a motivation to keep the pantry door closed, but with 6 independent people in our house, the door is rarely closed for long.
Nate figured out a couple of days ago how to open doors. This shouldn't be much of a problem except he is fiercely independent, and so I have already found him out front walking around once. Time for a kiddie lock on the door.

The other day I took the kids to go look at couches at the furniture store. (It was spring break and there was supposedly a 4 day sale). Anyway, they were acting like all young children do when there are a ton of couches sitting around...not so good. The salesman looked at me and asked if they were all mine. I answered yes, but I really wanted to tell him that I thought it would be fun to bring 4 kids to a furniture store, so on the way over I stopped and picked another one up. He then proceeded to tell me that I have been busy. Really? I can't decide if this is a general comment about my life, or a comment on my sex life, but either way it wasn't helping the man to sell me a couch.

3 comments:

Brigette Little said...

I get comments like that all the time, and I haven't yet figured out why people make them. We had a pantry problem, too. I finally put a keyed, front door type doorknob on the door. Greg and I have the keys. At least they have to ask for permission now before they clean everything out!

Jessica said...

I, too, get those comments. I just say, "Why yes! I have been busy!" and let them take it any way they want! I was worse when my oldest was 5 and I had 3 more under that.

Texas Harveys said...

Just this morning after finding Matthias eating a bowl of cereal which he produced all on his own Taylor and I were reminiscing about the times we found Matthias at 18 months standing on the stove at 4:30 in the morning. Can't blame a boy for wanting some food!