Shortly after Adam was old enough to eat people food, I found myself cooking two meals at dinner, one for Joe and I and one for Adam. He was a pretty picky eater so it made sense. As he got older and I had Michael and became more tired I realized quickly that that wouldn't work. Since then I have tried to make the kids eat what we are eating for dinner with mixed success.It has gotten better over the years. Recently I decided to try to get them to eat tortilla soup. Usually when I try to feed them soup they act like I am serving them poison and there is a lot of whining and stubborn not eating. There are often trips for one or two children to their rooms until they can return and eat what is in front of them. I thought that tortilla soup might be a hit because you take the soup and add tortilla chips and cheese to eat it. What's not to like? The first time I fed it to the kids there was a big rebellion. Unfortunately, Joe wasn't around so I got to put up with all the theatrics. Adam and Michael have learned that they better eat what is in front of them, so they reluctantly tried it and decided they didn't like it. Next thing I know they are plugging their noses and eating it. They told Ellie, "Just do this, plug your nose and you can't taste it as much." I about died laughing inside.
The next time I tried to have them eat tortilla soup they ate it with just a few complaints.
Yesterday, I served it again for the third time. One kid sat down and whined about how they didn't like it. One said, "Oh I kind of like this stuff." After they started eating, Michael said it was good because there were tomatoes in it! (He usually hates tomatoes in everything.)
So I guess the forcing the children to eat is working? They surprise me sometimes, they now really like vegetables, and caeser salad. I try to have something at every meal they really like so they can fill up on that. It is usually some kind of bread.
Anyone else have any tricks to get their kids to sit down and eat without the whining?
3 comments:
My baby, 10-months-old, refuses any food fed to her with a spoon. She will only feed herself. Her favorite meal is any with a combination of potatoes and red meat (usually crock-pot cooked) blended to the consistency of mash potatoes... it is fun to see her try to shove it in her mouth. Now what to do with the baby food I have in my pantry?
The only choice my kids have is take it or leave it. If they complain (at all) about what we're having they're sent to their room and don't eat anything.
Now, within that seemingly harsh rule is some leniency: they don't have to have a large portion of anything but they need to try everything. One bite (can be really small) constitutes a try.
I really can't stand the complaining (I have one kid who used to habitually say "I don't like it" -- or even "I hate it" before he ever tried it) and feel it's part of my job to teach them they'd better be grateful for everything put on the table.
Oh, and to help teach that principle, I try to find books that tell true stories of real deprivation. WWII juvenile lit is great for that (we've read some great stories), but one of my favorites is "Children of the Dustbowl." I love that one.
Good luck!
I think there is a lot to be said for developing a taste for certain foods. We have a similar rule - you at least have to taste it... and regardless of how you feel about it, complaining is NOT an option, (cause it's just plain RUDE!)
Over the years our kids have finally developed a taste for just about any thing and I am always greatful for this when we are travelling or especially guests at someone elses home. Besides, they are healthier for eating variety.
Way to battle this one out... it could be easier to feed them chicken nuggets every night, but you'll be glad you didn't in the end :-)
Post a Comment