Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our Weekend

We had a fun labor day weekend. As we were talking about what to do on the weekend, Joe suggested we spend it at our lake cottage. I thought he was joking...the kitchen sink was not installed and there is no bathroom mirror. (I know the second is minor, but how do you get ready for church without a bathroom mirror?) He said he could get the sink in within a few minutes of being there (translation, sometime during the first day) and I could use the mirror in the car. So we did! We went up Saturday morning and stayed until Monday afternoon. We even went to church from there....come to find out it only takes 5 more minutes to drive to church from the property as from our house.

We let the kids drive the little boat around on the lake by themselves. They thought it was great fun and spent a ton of time begging to be allowed to ride again.
Adam preferred to drive and Ellie and Michael put their hands out of the boat in the water. All three kids got a turn to drive, but Adam mostly demanded that he could be the driver. Nate wasn't allowed to go with them (for obvious reasons).
After they first took off I didn't see them for quite a few minutes and I was really worried, but they had just gone to the far end of the lake. They are good swimmers and had their life vests on so if they had to they could have floated back.
On Saturday night, we went fishing on Lake Conroe. We all went, but Ellie got a headache shortly after we got there so we came back and Joe and Adam stayed out later. They didn't catch anything, but they had fun.When the kids were in bed we could work on the house. It is amazing how much more work you can get done when the kids are in bed. Joe installed the sink as promised and he even got the dishwasher working. He also got the concrete backerboard up that we are going to put the backsplash on. You can see to the left of the sink some of the tiles we are going to use for the backsplash.
While I was out of town in the summer, he took out the laminate countertops and put in these silestone ones. They look really sharp, especially in contrast to the white cupboards. I'm excited, it is finally coming together and the end is in sight!

The other highlights of the weekend: Joe got his tractor stuck in the lake and I had to pull him out with the truck, I painted trim and caulked a bunch of trim and the kids spent time riding four wheelers and swimming in the lake. It has cooled off just a little, but enough to make it much more pleasant to spend time out at the property so I am sure we will be spending more time out there again.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow that kitchen looks awesome- so different than when we were last there!

Juliana S said...

Everything looks great. You two have been working hard. It's probably one of those times that you wonder if it will ever get done? That's what we used to think ( and I sometimes still think) about the cabin.