Friday, January 11, 2013

Nate's Carrots

Last fall, after I cleared all the dead plants out of the garden, I planted a fall garden.  Nate was pretty interested in helping me plant, so I left him a couple of rows that he could plant carrots in.  In the past I have planted carrots, but no one was interested in eating them, so they got left in the garden until they were no good and then thrown away.  Last year, Nate's teacher had carrots in the garden and the kids had a great time picking them and eating them, so I let Nate plant some.  After we planted them, they grew pretty slowly, and we would check them regularly, but they weren't growing.  At the same time, we had radishes grow, and those grew quickly and we harvested and ate all those.  After November, it got cold(er) outside so I didn't hang out there much and we pretty much ignored the garden.  Nate asked me today if we could pick the carrots, so we checked, and sure enough, they were ready to go.  We only picked a few, but here are some of them:
 The best part: Nate wants to eat them.  He keeps asking if he can have another carrot. This monstrosity of a carrot that he had he ate over the period of 15 minutes!

No comments: