Michael had a great 3rd grade year, mostly because he had a fantastic 3rd grade teacher, Mr. Dunbar. He still says he hates school every day, but I am not sure that he was bored, just that he tries to pretend that he hates everything.
He had a big GT envision science project he had to work on this year. He came up with the idea to see if oil changes the density of water. Of course, those of us who have dealt with oil and water know how that turned out, but he got to do the experiment and figure it out himself. (I dared him to put goggles on for the picture, and he didn't even flinch, but quickly put them on).
This is his completed project:At about the same time this was due, they had two or three other projects due. I was so tired of helping him with projects that one of them I told him he had to do it all by himself, with no help from me. He did it- including typing it all himself. He finished it the night before at about 9 pm, but he did do it, and I think it was a good turning point for him.
At the end of the year, they had a party in their classroom with breakfast foods where they handed out the awards.
Michael got straight A's all year and all E's.
This was the first year that the students had to take a standardized test to see their advancement. Their teacher told them that if the whole class passed the test he would let one boy and one girl throw a pie in his face. They did all pass, so right after the class party, Mr. Dunbar wend outside to let the kids throw a pie at him. He chose the two kids with the highest grades to do it, and Michael was one of them (he got a 100!). He sure enjoyed that.
We really were lucky to have such a good teacher, I hope he gets another good teacher next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment