Sunday, September 1, 2013

Young Women

A little over a year ago, after a few month stint as Young Women's camp director, I got called to be the Young Women's president.  Our ward had just been split and I think there were a lot of callings that needed to be filled, so I got called to this one.
 
It has been a HUGE adjustment for me and my family.  At first, I just felt overwhelmed with the whole thing.  There seemed like a lot of tasks to do, a lot of meetings to attend, and I didn't even know some of the things that I needed to do. Over time, I have grown to figure out how to do all of these things.  I have been surrounded by great leaders, who have helped me out along the way.
 
The cute Young Women at camp: 
We had a night where the girls did their mom's hair like they would for school now, and the mom's did their daughter's hair like we would have when we graduated:
We even let them do our hair:

I think the hardest thing about this calling is that it is such a huge amount of time away from my family, which is fine, but it would be so much more meaningful if I had a daughter in Young Women's.  I think the reason that youth programs work so well is because they take a lot of time for the youth and they help them to forge friendships with other youth and they keep them busy a lot of time so there is less time to slowly drift away.  That being said, it takes a lot of work to create that kind of program.  I think it will be better in a few months when Adam turns twelve, so at least one activity a month I am there with him.  I am also sure that one day in the far future, Ellie will be in young women's and I will be in there with her, and that will be great.  I think I will welcome this calling again when that day comes. 

Overall, it has been a great experience for me.  I have learned a lot about being a leader, and I am trying to learn how to delegate and to let others take responsibility.  I also am learning how to work with others limitations, and work with other's strengths.  Since I have been in for a year, I am now trying to learn how to let the youth take control, and plan their own activities.  It seems like it would be less work, but overall, it is more work to let it go that way.

I am sure at the end of this experience, I will have learned so much and be sad to let it go, but for now, I am just enjoying the ride. 

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I'm so far behind without Google Reader!

Nate just got released as YM president after 2 years, and I was bummed, but just because we had 2 in the YM/YW program -- you're right, with your kids in there it's much more understandable/fun/reasonable. Now he's Elder Quorum President. Again. *Sigh* he's only not been to ward councils/PEC for 2-3 of our 16 years of marriage. Oh well, I'm sure we're both growing in the ways we need best -- him in his calling and me spending a lot of time at home with the kids without him. You're definitely right about that!