Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spring

Since it is terribly cold and dreary today, I thought I would post about the spring and our garden. It has been so beautiful here for several weeks that everything has started to turn green and to blossom. We even got our garden in. Here are some apple blossoms on our trees on our property:
This is a peach:
Around Thanksgiving time, Joe decided it was time to build a raised bed garden. We have had great gardens in our last two houses, thanks to his dirt work and so he wanted to improve on it in this house. He spent some time thinking about the size and the type of enclosure that he wanted and the location. He decided to put it against the fence on the west side of our house. He built a raised bed with pressure treated pine and filled it with a combination of dirt and mushroom compost. Then he rototilled it and left it. A couple of weeks ago he was busy installing an irrigation system into it (very necessary in our house because I am horrid at daily watering). We have planted beans, carrots, beets, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, lettuce, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and a few herbs. Everything has started to grow:

I love the beginning of a garden when all the rows are neat and there are no weeds and all the seedlings are just beginning to sprout.
Even our orange trees have started to blossom, and they smell so nice.
I'm so glad that spring is here. I'm also glad that we don't have much of a winter (I don't deal well with the cold).