Friday, June 5, 2009

The End of Preschool

Michael spent this year going to Spring Baptist church preschool. It met two days a week from 9:15-2:30. He absolutely loved it. Yesterday, they had a special program to celebrate the end of the year. The children came in to a funny song....walk, walk, walk, STOP. Jump, jump, jump, stop...etc. Then they sang some cute songs. My favorite had to be the one about the B-I-B-L-E.

There were many cute songs, however, I had Nate with me to view it. For the first 5 minutes he was quite content to sit on my lap and look at the things around him. Then he decided to try crawling around. This was fine while he was crawling in the back between the empty pews where he was not disrupting anyone. The problem came when the children arrived and were singing so cutely from the stage. Nate quickly figured out that there was much more interesting stuff at the front of the room and tried desperately to make his way up there. Then I was able to distract him for another 5 minutes while we practiced walking...me holding his fingers as he walked. Then that was boring, so we sat down again and tried to be distract by eating a bagel. That worked well for about 2 minutes but then Nate put too big a piece in...he couldn't get it out, and so he started gagging. The next thing I know, I am trying to hold Nate and catch all his vomit in my other hand while I try to quickly escape the room so that I don't disrupt the people watching the cute program. It was a disaster. The only good thing about it was that Ellie was at a friend's house, so I didn't have to try to keep her quiet too.
The rest of the program I tried to stand near the back and hold Nate. It was crazy!
Michael is just above the big head, a little to the right. He loved his school and had a lot of fun. He was constantly coming home and telling us bible stories. In fact, he probably learned more bible stories at school than at church.

This is him with his teacher, Mrs. Lowry.
A couple of weeks ago, I met with his teacher to talk about his progress over the year. She pulled out an evaluation that she had done at the beginning of the year to show how much improved he was by the end of the year. He had done everything perfect at the end of the year. So when she pulled out the evaluation from the end of the year, it pretty much looked the same. He is very ready for kindergarten, I'm just not sure what novel thing he is going to be learning there.

No comments: