Wednesday, May 4, 2011

House Projects

In the middle of Joe being in and out of the hospital last month for various reasons, I decided to get some projects done I had wanted to do for a very long time. I think the timing was off, but Joe mostly just slept so I wasn't in his way either.

First, I painted the kids ceilings. Let me tell you, painting ceilings is no fun. Unfortunately, the ceiling paint I ended up with was super thin, so I had to do several coats. It looks so much better now. I also put up shelves in the boys room so they could put some of their completed Lego projects on there. How do you keep kids dresser tops clean? This picture is totally staged...they are the worlds biggest pack rats and all the tiny toys they collect end up on the dresser. I even got them bins to put their junk in and the bins are getting full... you can only throw away so much stuff. We put Nate's dresser in the boys room too, in preparation for when he moves into their room (in about a year). Its still a clean slate. Ellie's room. The ceiling was a taupe color, the same color as the top part of the wall in the bathroom picture below. It looked weird with the pink and blue walls.
We also put bead board up on the powder room. I have wanted to do this through the last three houses and I finally bugged Joe about it enough that he said it wouldn't be a big deal and he would love to help me. He also mentioned that it would be a one night project. It took many, many nights, but I am really happy with how it turned out. Of course, doing the project with Joe we had to do everything right...instead of working around the sink and on top of the baseboards, we had to take them all out and start from scratch. Now that it is behind me I am glad that we did.
Here's an action photo, Nate is demonstrating how the sink works.

5 comments:

Kelly Vowles said...

You're inspiring!!!! It all looks great!

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Looks great! My boys' dressers are always covered with stuff. They also have bins that quickly fill up with their mementos and souvenirs. Most of it seems like junk to me, but they love it so we keep it around.

Bethany said...

Lots of work, but it all looks great! I especially love the bead board.

Lana Lulu Handmade said...

I painted our theater room ceiling black and I know how you feel. Yuck! And also, J's room has so much junk too! Her dresser is always full of stuff. I keep throwing things out but it seems like its never ending. I also bought bins to hide her junk and I am not buying anymore. So what doesn't fit gets thrown out. Anyways, LOVE the bead board!

Texas Harveys said...

The bead board looks awesome! I'm so glad you were able to convince Joe...love bead board. And we got rid of the boys' dresser after Taylor did built in closets so now they start collecting piles in the corner. I throw stuff out like every other day, it's the only way to keep up.