Friday, June 8, 2012

Not to forget about Michael

With all the posts about the other three kids, I wouldn't want to forget our Michael.  Michael just finished 2nd grade.  At our school they have a program where if the kids are caught be extra good they get a star.  When they get 10 stars, they get to be in the Hall of Fame.  They get a t-shirt and to parade around the school.  Michael finally got into the hall of fame this last quarter.  When they were parading, Michael was walking around doing this: 
 Oh to be an 8 year old boy. We also had the end of year awards.  Michael got straight A's, perfect attendance (that surprised me), and perfect citizenship. 


 Here's his teacher, Mrs. Nesbit.  He learned a lot this year, they reviewed a ton of math skills- addition and subtraction, but they also got to move on to multiplication and a little division.  He also improved a lot on his writing.  Michael HATES to write, but somehow he did fine.  He has a funny sense of humor and it shows up in his writing, so it is nice when he bothers to write to see the funny things that go through his head.  When he writes though, it is only the minimum length needed to satisfy the requirement.
 At our last cub scout pack meeting, he earned his wolf badge!  He earned it a couple of months ago, but they didn't have awards at the last meeting and he was very sad that he couldn't get the patch for a couple of months. He is very proud of himself when he earns the patches. 

We recently had pictures taken of Michael.  The pictures that I paid for that came home from school were AWFUL.  I had them redone and they were still AWFUL.  I wish I was a school photographer, so I could get paid an obnoxious amount of money to do a mediocre job.  I don't understand, they have to have a digital camera- can't they look at the picture to see if your kid's eyes are open or even visible in the picture?
 Anyway, Michael is our easiest child.  He never has big needs or big mood swings. He is generally happy, although he does get "bored" a lot.  He loves to read and has read a ton of books this year: the Harry Potter series, the Gregor the Overlander series, the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Series, the Percy Jackson series, and a few more books in between when we didn't have the next book ready. He also loves to play on the computer, the Wii, or his DS.  This year he learned how to make a website, use powerpoint and e-mail.  Pretty soon he will know more about computers than I do.  That's fine as long as he fixes mine when it is broke.
 Halfway through this year he started writing "Mike" on all his papers at school.  If you asked him why he did that, he would shrug and say, "I don't know."  I think it was because he doesn't like to write and so it was easier to write "Mike" as opposed to "Michael."  We asked him if he would prefer to be called "Mike" now but he wouldn't commit- just saying, "I don't know."  Recently, I have started calling him Mike and he responds to it.  I am about 50%, but if you want to call him Mike he isn't opposed to it anymore.
 He still plays the piano well.  He will complain and complain until he is comfortable with the song, then he plays it a few times and memorizes it.  Then we hear the song over and over and over and over again.  Usually, it gets faster the more times he plays it.

 He is the peacemaker in our family (the child right after him is definitely NOT).  Everyone likes Mike and we can often send him up to intercede in an argument and get good results.  He is also good and waking up Nate, which is often a tricky thing.  He and Adam get along great- the only thing that doesn't always work out for them is sharing friends, but we are starting to work on that too.
We are really lucky to have this sweet soul in our family.

No comments: