Saturday, October 30, 2021

Quiet Kitchen

A few years ago, about the time that Nate started kindergarten, a friend of mine started a group on groupme called "Quiet Kitchen" club.  The idea was that moms with kids at home got together all the time to hang out at playdates and such, but now that our kids were all in school, we didn't get together as much.  She figured there were lots of things that we could do when the kids were in school that we hadn't been able to do for all the years when we had them at home.  Incidentally, she was also the preschool teacher for most of my children, so she was ready to have fun.  And it has been fun.  With Covid closing everything down, there weren't as many things that we could do, but we figured out how to do some things.  One of the things that has worked out super nicely is that we have an adult religion class one day a week, and then we either go to lunch or stay and have lunch at the building directly afterwards and talk.  As we have spent so much time together, we have really gotten to know each other and have become good friends.  
In November of 2020, we went on a girls trip to Orlando, and went to Disneyworld and Universal Studios.  It was super fun to go without kids.
I know that I get sick on rides, but I had a special arm band that helped with motion sickness.  It was working really well, but then I went on a ride that was crazy, and I got pretty sick. I took a time out.  The rules in the park were you had to be wearing a mask all the time unless you were eating.  I had a lollipop I put in for a second because I was so nauseous and the mask was making it worse.  Then I fell asleep.  It was nice to travel with fellow moms because when they found me after a break, they gave me drink powder and ice packs and things that actually helped!  I really enjoy the theme parks, and the last time I took the kids, they didn't so it was fun to go without them!






Another girls trip we took about then was a trip to Waco to see the Magnolia Market.  It's close enough that we can make a day trip out of it.  Its kind of amazing every time we go how much it has expanded since the last time, but there are lots of fun shops to visit and go in around there.

 Another day, we went down and went to graffiti park. Its a couple of buildings in one area that have been allowed to be painted with murals.  This next picture is not in that area, but it needed to be put in- for years someone painted this railroad bridge over the I-45 freeway so that it said "be someone."  Any time someone changed it or painted over it, they would redo it.  Just recently they decided to stop doing it.


At the Van Gogh exhibit.
Preparing flowers for Ashley's reception.
Another trip we went to the Natural Science Museum to see a Body Worlds exhibit. 
Another time we went to Dallas to a Pinterest Conference.  There I learned how to crochet a blanket, some photo editing techniques, some watercolor painting tricks and just enjoyed being away!





No comments: