Monday, March 16, 2009

Trench

At some point last week Joe and I had this conversation:

Joe, "Do we have any plans this weekend?"

Me, "Hmmmm, no, I can't think of anything, but it is supposed to rain, maybe we could stay home for once and get some things done around the house."

Joe, "I really want to run some water lines at our property, if its not going to rain I think I will do that."

Translation: I am going to rent a trencher and trencher about 800 feet of trenches so we can have water and electricity pipes running anywhere we might want them in the future.



Thursday rolls around and it is projected to only have a 10% chance of rain on Saturday so Joe sets up to trench, much to my disappointment.



Saturday dawns and it is not raining, but it is very foggy and it had been raining for the three days previously, nevertheless, Joe was feeling the need to trench and so he did it.

I (for once) got a babysitter to stay with the kids and I went up to help him for a few hours.

He did very well, but the trencher would slow down anytime it was near a tree (note that in the first picture he is trenching through a forest) because the trencher would have to cut all the roots underground as it dug. Some spots were quick, but many were slow. At about 2 it started raining and didn't really stop until early Sunday morning.

So these are a couple of pictures of the trenches, I have about 5 more pictures of different trenches that are just as long, but you get the idea...it was a massive project. As we were doing it, I thought about how nice it will be to have water where we want it, and eventually to have power available wherever we want it, that will be so convenient. It just seemed like an overwhelming task and I did not think it could get done in one weekend...but it did... Joe got all the trenches dug and we got the pipes put in and connected in all of them. (I guess I really am married to superman!)
(On a side note...look at that beautiful piece of property, and to think we actually own that...I can't believe that...I feel I am too young to own anything of value or beauty).
Joe even let me glue some of the pipes. After growing up and watching my father install a sprinkler system and then Joe installing a sprinkler system in our previous house, I have seen pvc pipes glued together a million times. I have never been trusted enough to actually be the one doing the glueing, but for some reason that changed this weekend..and I have proof!

In retrospect, I am really glad that Joe was so ambitious to do this, I am very glad that we will be able to have water where we want it...but mostly I am glad that it is done.

Hmmm, another weekend is coming up, what seemingly impossible project will we tackle next? When did my husband become the Energizer bunny?

3 comments:

Brigette Little said...

This is exactly the type of thing my husband would be doing if he had the time! Glad you guys were able to work together and get some good stuff accomplished.

Alison said...

Hi Nann! I can't believe how big your kids are getting! They are so cute!
I love your property and how fun to have water and power in all the right spots. Good team effort! =)
I've thought of you often this month as I encourage a friend with her IVF. If she's not successful I'll just have to have to refer her to YOU for some A+ embriology! =)

Majid said...

Nice Blog.
Please visit.
http://spyfu123.blogspot.com
http://what-mobiles.blogspot.com
http://gen-reading.blogspot.com
http://amazi.blogspot.com
http://howtobuymobilephone.blogspot.com
http://mymobilerainbow.blogspot.com
http://mc-mobilenet.blogspot.com
http://adsbrite.blogspot.com
http://alphainvention.blogspot.com
http://free-articles-reading.blogspot.com
http://mobile-gift-xpango.blogspot.com