Sunday, July 11, 2010

4-wheeler accident

Warning, the following pictures are a little graphic!

Joe sent out a e-mail with the details of my 4-wheeler accident. He wrote it well, so these are his words.
She was driving with Michael in front of her on her way back from getting ice cream at the local general store at Panguitch Lake. She was in front of a three ATV group. They were driving on a paved road (which grips ATV tires very hard and makes them hard to control).

She looked back over her right shoulder to see if her Dad was keeping up. She apparently drifted to the right because when she looked back, she was on the edge of a steep drop off next to the road. She over corrected and turned hard to the left. The front tires gripped the pavement hard and flipped her and Michael right over.

Nan hit hard on her entire right side. She smashed her head and got a 1.5 inch cut that was pouring blood. She had road rash and cuts down the entire right side of her body. Of most concern, was her right hip. She hit it so hard that she could not get on her feet and was in massive pain. We thought she broke it.

Michael had a helmet on and apparently landed on Nannette because he had barely a scratch on him.

Nan’s mother was right behind her on another ATV when the accident happened. She was shaken up pretty badly.

Nan’s father Mike came along within a minute and then came up to get me and a vehicle to take Nan to the hospital. There is no cell phone coverage so I didn’t arrive on scene until at least 20 minutes later (Mike observed the 10 mph speed limit so he wouldn’t upset his neighbors).

When I arrived, Nan was shaking horribly and couldn’t walk. There was a huge pool of blood on the pavement from her head. Several nice people had stopped and helped.

I helped Nannette into Mike’s truck and sped off to the hospital.

All good news at the hospital. No concussion or internal injuries. Her hip was badly bruised but not broken. The Dr. put 6 staples in her head which will come out in 10 days. She can walk, but with pain.





I am feeling a lot better now. I still have the staples in, we will get them out tomorrow or Tuesday, and I can walk normal and much of my road rash is healed, the rest is healing well.

4 comments:

Hall of Halls said...

Oh Nanette- I am so sorry. I hope it heals well.

tamiz said...

Holy Crapoly!!! Glad you're feeling better!

Bethany said...

Ahhh! So sorry! Glad it's not worse, but hope it's even better really soon.

Julia said...

Dang Nannette! I'm glad you're feeling better, you looked like you were walking fine at church :) Hope the recovery goes quickly for you!