Monday, September 27, 2010

CHL

On Saturday, I took a class to get my CHL. (CHL stands for concealed handgun license)

I took it from a friend, Justin Vowles (txconcealandcarry@gmail.com) and he did a great job teaching the information. It was in his home and fairly informal which made it nice and relaxed. The curriculum contained a lot of laws and statues, which would normally make it pretty boring, but Justin did a great job of adding funny videos in to make a point and break it up.

Personally, however, I am not a fan of guns. I feel really strongly that people should be allowed to own guns, not just for hunting, but also for personal protection. I also think that someday we may need to use our guns to protect our families, so I don't have a problem with buying guns and safely storing them in case they are needed. All of that being said, I really do not like shooting guns, it kind of freaks me out how loud and violent they are. I took this class because Joe really wanted me to, and honestly we have guns and so I thought it wasn't a bad idea for me to be licensed since I am around them. The shooting portion of the test was a little traumatic for me. It wasn't difficult, if you know how to shoot a gun and aim you should easily be able to do it, I just get freaked out about shooting guns. I even had trouble sleeping for a couple of days up to it, I was so nervous about it (yes, Tammy I have that problem too).

So, I passed, in fact my shooting score was 233/250, not bad considering how much my hands were shaking and at the beginning, my leg was even shaking, ha! Someone asked me if I planned to carry a gun around once I get my license and the answer is a very firm, very loud, NO! (but thanks for asking).

Oh, and in related news, Joe decided I needed a different gun to shoot with so he went out on Friday and bought me a new gun, but at least he didn't try to pass it off as a Christmas/birthday/anniversary gift.

4 comments:

tamiz said...

Good for you. Someday I may need to take that class too. For now I don't want to spend a WHOLE day!

tiffany said...

good for you i canr wait to take the class & get a gun i have gone shooting before with my brother who is a s.w.a.t cop i personally loved it i thoughtr it was fun then again the thought of aiming a gun at a personaly does bug me unless i was protecting me & my family (if i ever have one)

Hall of Halls said...

I need to take a class like that too. I need some more practice.

Juliana S said...

I think the aiming and shooting would work out fine if someone came near your child, in your home, but you'd have to move Joe out of the way, as he would have things taken care of before you had a chance. (Thank goodness). We live in a weird world in 2010.