Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Joe's Male Bonding Vacation
Since Joe finished law school, he has been taking a yearly trip out to Arizona to go fishing with his dad. It started being a 4 day weekend, but this year he added a day. A few years ago, Joe and Dad finally consented to allowing Austin to come, but he was in on a trial basis for the first year. Apparently he passed the trial, because he goes every year now.
They came in on Tuesday night, and immediately drove up to Joe's dads house near Holbrook. The next morning they drove out to Reservation Lake to go fishing. For those readers who don't believe the lake exists (you know who you are) check out the link. Joe spent a couple of months reading about trout fishing and collecting lures so that he could experiment with different lures while he was out fishing.
They caught a lot of fish. The most fish were caught by worms, but the fish liked to swallow the worms, so if they caught a fish with a worm they almost always had to keep it. If they caught it with a lure (which didn't happen as often as with a worm) then the lure would catch their lip so they could catch and release. Joe mailed a box of lures out and then packed two suitcases and one overnight bag to take. The overnight bag had his clothes and the two suitcases had all of his fishing gear.

Joe did most of the driving on the boat. A couple of days it was too windy to fish too, but he did get to fish and drive at the same time.
A view of the lake:

Austin and Joe built a shelter and one night they slept in it. Dad was supposed to sleep in it too, but he snuck into his sleeping bag in the tent a little early so he could sleep more comfortably.
Joe and his Dad

They ate fish every night. Austin cooked the fish and Joe said it was delicious. Joe made potatoes and carrots for everyone.
Now that he got a week off, what kind of vacation do you think I can negotiate? He says that I get to go see my family every summer so that is fair, but I can assure you a "vacation" with 4 kids is anything but a vacation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I agree! You definitely deserve a vacation sans kids.
I agree also and I just have 1! I just think it is more work because you still have to make sure they are feed, happy, and accounted for. You really can't go "relax" because your to busy taking care of them.
Hmmm...I'm totally thinking you and I should plan a Hawaii trip or something...
What a great post of their trip. I'm so glad they took pictures. Austin totally loved his trip... we're glad he got the "consent!"
Now, I was thinking Hawaii too... can I come?
Yes, my fly is down, why do you ask?
Post a Comment