Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Great Big Snake

We went and spent the weekend (again) at our property. Michael invited his best friends, Shane and Logan to come. They had a great time playing and talking and riding 4-wheelers.

Joe even made them move a tree he cut down into a burn pile (but we are in a severe drought so there will be no burning until the burn ban is gone). Of course, the boys got to use 4-wheelers to do the hauling so it wasn't so bad. They also went swimming in the lake. The kids are getting big enough they can go in by themselves and I can sit on the side and avoid the slimy bottom.

Nate went too, but he couldn't keep up with the big kids very well.
Right after the kids went swimming, I was walking through the woods and looked over and saw a great big snake. I called Joe over. He was good enough to decapitate it for us and then we got a closer look at it:

After looking at the mouth we saw there were no fangs and so it was not venomous. It did try to bite the shovel Joe was attacking it with. After doing a google search I found that it was a yellow bellied water snake, apparently out of the water for a little while.
After we decapitated it, its body continued to writhe for about an hour. It was crazy!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

A few things:

1. An hour!? Crazy! (And awesome.)
2. I love that even when only one brother has his "best friends" over, the other brother is in the picture. I so try to encourage the same thing (sibling loyalty).
3. If I were a jealous person, I would totally be jealous of your lake house. What a great opportunity for your family and especially for your kids to learn how to work. I love it!

tamiz said...

NASTY...ummm even though that snake was out of water he still lived in THAT water where you all swim!! I'm having a hard time adjusting to Texas water!