Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cub Scouts

For the past year and a half, I have been the cub scout committee chair. When I got the calling, our ward had just been split and we were in the newly created ward so we were all anticipating what our new callings would be.  After I got my calling, I left the interview and got in my car and cried.  I knew that with three boys I would eventually get called to cub scouts but I didn't think it would be so soon.  Needless to say, I wasn't excited about the calling, but of course I was still willing to do it and figure it out, problem was, no one knew what I was supposed to do for my calling. I even asked the person who had my calling before me and they didn't really know what they were supposed to do.  So with that in mind, I tried to figure it out.  Luckily, I had a good friend who had the calling in another ward and she was very helpful in letting me know things that I was missing or telling me things that they did. 
 A surprising thing happened.  As I did my calling, the responsibilities changed from those of dread to actually enjoying what I was doing.  I learned to love the program (don't tell my husband this) and to love the boys in it.  I figured I would be in the calling forever since I felt like I was doing a thorough job and I had figured out the details and how to do everything.  Nope, to my surprise, (and a few other people's) I was released a few weeks ago.  I was surprised to find that I am sad to be leaving the calling.  Since I have two boys in cub scouts, I will of course be still involved, but since it is not my calling I will have to be careful not to step on anyone's toes.  Now I get to do Girl's Camp...I wonder if I will learn to love it?
Here are the pictures from last month's Blue and Gold Banquet.  Cute Michael led the flag ceremony.
 Both boys earned lots of awards.
 Michael played Darth Vader in a skit...
 And Joe was the special guest as Darth Vader at the end.  (It was Star Wars themed, obviously).
I am  not too worried, seeing as I still have Nate coming into cub scouts in four more years, I am sure that I will get another calling in the program, and next time I won't have to be sad about it, but instead I can be excited.

No comments: