Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bunny Babies (Joe's version)

So you may all know I've been trying to breed my female Californian rabbit. Rabbits are supposed to be pretty predictable. You put a doe in with a buck, he jumps her bones immediately, groans and falls off her back. BANG, babies come out exactly 31 days later.

Well, On October 4 I bred my rabbits about 4 times (just to be sure).

On Nobember 2 I put a nest in my rabbit's cage and she commenced organizing the hay and even carried hay around in her mouth, just like the book said she would.

On November 4, 31 days after breeding, I ran out to the rabbit cage and....nothing. Nothing the next day and the next day either. UNBELIEVABLE. I'm the only man alive who can't get rabbits to have sex and make babies! It shook may faith in life.

It also really pissed me off.

So on Thursday, November 5 I mated my rabbits again. I left them together for 2.5 hours while we went to dinner with Austin to celebrate his Bar passage. Then, an hour later I mated them again for 30 minutes. Then, the next morning, I mated them again for 30 minutes. No way my ego could handle another failure.

According to the calculator, I should have babies on Sunday, December 6.

So last night, ony 12 days after mating, I went out to feed the rabbits and my doe had 6 kits laying on the cage floor that she had presumably delivered that morning. They had been laying bare on the wire all day. They were all cold and motionless. So I gathered them up, took them inside and put them in a towel on top of a heating pad for an hour to warm up. Four ded. Two are undecide, but are probably dead. But that's not the point.

The point is, that somehow my rabbits found a way to sneak in a quickie without me knowing about it AND that quickie got them knocked up.

So this is the Lesson: RABBITS ARE LIKE TEENAGERS. THEY'LL SNEAK IN SEX ANY TIME YOU AREN'T LOOKING FOR IT AND ITS 100% SURE TO GET THEM PREGNANT.






(Now you'll have to wonder why I ever post at all when he has all the creativity of the family.)

No comments: