Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Floor

When we had our house built and we went to the "design center" where they allow you to pick out your flooring and counters and tile, we figured out quickly that the prices that the builder charges for upgrading your floor to wood and nice carpet were so much higher than what it would cost to have a 3rd party do it. We decided that we would upgrade the carpet in all the rooms in our house to a slightly better carpet than the free carpet except the living room and our study. Those rooms we had the builder put in the really basic free carpet and we thought we would put nicer carpet in the living room and wood in the study. We purposely picked out darker carpet to have the builder put in so that when we took it out we could save it and when the time came we could install it in our cottage at our property. We immediately replaced the living room carpet, but Joe wanted to install the wood, so we put that off until we had the time to do it.
Fortunately for me, we have come to the point in fixing up the lake cottage that we need the carpet. Last week, Joe measured out the carpet from the living room and determined that we did not have enough. In order to get enough of matching carpet, we would have to get the carpet out of the study. (Yipee!!)
So that has been our project for this week:
First we had to take everything out of the room. It is a very full room so that in itself was quite a project. Then Joe took out the carpet, tack strip and used a self-leveler to level the floor.
Then we started laying the wood. We picked an acacia hardwood- it has a strong grain and it is very colorful wood. That is nice for our room because it ties in all of the colors of the wood in the room. The kids were very excited to see Joe put the floor in, but we did it mostly after they went to bed. (Honestly, if Nate was awake it would have been a disaster with all the glue).

I helped put the wood down, and I even got to run the miter saw to cut the ends to size.

Here is the finished room, with the furniture back in the room:
This is what it really looks like all the time, with the computer armoire open and the computer on:

As a side note, Joe made the armoire for me from the top piece which we found on ebay and then he rebuilt it to my specifications and built the base to hold it. Isn't he so talented?

9 comments:

Brigette Little said...

Beautiful! I am amazed at all you guys get done. Awesome.

Kelly Vowles said...

Looks beautiful!!!

Hall of Halls said...

Looks great! Nice work Joe!

Juliana S said...

You're right Nannette, Nate looks ready to "help out" in the picture he is in. Very nice Joe-looks super.

Texas Harveys said...

That is so beautiful! Love it.

Marissa said...

I love it, it looks so nice.

Julia said...

The room looks great! Love the wood color and I love your computer area Joe is very handy! :)

Koni Frost said...

I didn't realize you guys were using the carpet for your lake property... how resourceful! Can't wait to see it in your other house.

Your office looks so beautiful... Joe is so talented... seriously!

We need to get together! William has been lifeless the last 3 days, so I haven't gotten out. I hope he'll feel better tomorrow.

The Christexans said...

I love following your home projects. You guys are serious worker bees. Blushing- I'll admit I've enjoyed the freedom of the past nearly two years of living in an apartment. We've got lots of work to do when we finally return to our home.