When we were building our house, we had the option to build a back porch on our house. It was a significant expense, but it would be rolled into the loan, so it would have been okay, but I really wanted a pergola built in the back so that the light would still come through. Finally, after 4 years, I convinced Joe to go ahead and build the pergola. Here is the (mostly) before picture. We had the cement extended 3 feet so that it went to the end of the house.
Then we had them cover the cement with slate tile. The name of the slate we picked was Autumn Slate.
Then the pergola building began. The first day they stood around a lot and measured and looked at the house and did a lot of staining. This was all done in the week before Thanksgiving, and the builder said that they would be done in 3 days so when after the first day it just looked like this, I was a little worried.
They did, indeed get it done in three days. The reason the pergola works so well is because it is covered with clear plastic sheeting so when it rains, the rain water does not get onto the patio below. They also added fans and lights.Another view.
Close up from the end, you can see the fans and lights. We had to get special fans that were okay in the high humidity, and the light choices were limited to the finish on the lights.
They also added gutters. After they were gone, I used a special sealer that brings out the stone color but is not shiny. It is made by DuPont and is called Enhance Pro. (Now when I have to reseal in 5 years I will know what I used).You can see the difference if you compare the above pictures to the one below. The colors are rich browns and dark grays.
Then, to complete it, and make sure we had a good use for it, we got a new patio set. Since it has been in the mid 70's and tomorrow is supposed to get up to 80, we will definitely be using it soon.
Go ahead, you can say it, I am very spoiled.
5 comments:
It looks awesome! The sealer makes such a big difference!
Beautiful!
I absolutely love this!! great choice Nannette!
So beautiful -- I love it!
It turned out great- good job Joe for funding it!
Post a Comment