Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Traditions

Christmas is my favorite holiday at our house because of the traditions that we have.  I think the kids really enjoy the traditions now too, every year they get so excited to do them.  One we started very early on is making a gingerbread house (out of a kit of course).  I put the house together while the kids are at school, Nate helped me with the roof.  Then for FHE we decorated it.  Adam was in charge of the icing.  This kit had fondant, which I have never used before, but Michael rolled it out for us and made some great shapes.

 Close up of the details.
 I give the kids 5 minutes on New Years day to eat it.  It's amazing what can get eaten in 5 minutes.  Then the rest goes in the trash.
 We also have 4 advent calendars that we do every year.  We used to just have one, but I guess we are collecting them.  The first one is the favorite and that is a Lego calendar.  This year it was Star Wars.  The kids count the days until it is their turn to open a window again.
 Then there is the lollipop tree one you can see next to the Lego calendar.  Also a magnetic one:
 And this last one, the kids take the ornaments off and decorate a tree.  Nate didn't like this one this year so he never did it on his turn and the kids got behind.
Another tradition we have is a formal dinner on Christmas eve.  We also have an informal talent show and nativity.  Adam played his trumpet for the talent show, he played "Good King Wencelsas."

Michael played a song on the piano.  It was really cool.  Ellie did the splits, but I didn't catch it on camera and Nate demonstrated fighting with his daddy.  I tried to catch that on the camera, but he knocked Joe down so fast that I missed it! 
 Then we did a nativity.  We usually assign roles, but I somehow messed up this year so that Emma had to play Joseph.  We didn't have any wise men. Ellie was an angel, but I also had her play Away in a Manger on the piano.  As she was playing she missed a note and since she had it memorized, we didn't have the music in front of us so she couldn't catch back up with everyone singing. She was so upset and embarrassed about it that she refused to go out and play the angel in the nativity. Michael played the Angels We Have Heard on High song.
It was fun, although pretty chaotic and very informal.  I keep thinking the kids will grow to love the nativity, we never did it when I was a kid, but maybe it will be something they can all get together and complain about when they grow old.
The last tradition is one that many people do, and that is opening one present on Christmas Eve.  It also just so happens to be pajamas.  This year they didn't match, but they were such a hit that no one wanted to take them off on Christmas.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love Christmas traditions too - so fun!