The Trevi fountain
Piazza Navone
There were ruins of Roman temples all over the place. Modern Rome was built up around them. Some were completely ignored, and some were being restored.
The streets were all cobblestone. Everywhere. And there were only small spaces between buildings and there would be little cars sometimes parked between the buildings on the cobblestones.
The Pantheon. What I found most fascinating about this is that it was built to pagan Gods and then in the early part of the 00's, when the Christians took over Rome, then it was converted to a Christian temple and Raphael is buried there.
Altara della Patria
This is on the hop on/hop off bus.
Another thing I really wanted to see in Rome was the catacombs, so we took a special bus out to see the catacombs. I really wanted to see lots of bones, but most of the bones were gone and it was just tunnels under the ground where the bones had been buried. It was still cool, but not as fascinating as I had hopes.
We went on a Sunday and a Monday in mid May, but we found that the city was super crowded. It felt like everywhere we went there were a ton of people. It was hot too. I thought that I would enjoy Rome more than Paris, but I found I enjoyed Paris more than Rome.
No comments:
Post a Comment