Thursday, November 19, 2009

Laundry Room Makeover

...Aka why my husband ROCKS!!!

This is what my laundry room looked like for the first year that we lived here. It is a great laundry room because not only can you walk in and shut the door, but there is also a lot of space in the back so that we could store the bulk of our food storage in it...so we did...in a big..unorganized pile.

I don't want to even hear about how easy it is to store your food storage when you live in Utah and have a big basement...here in Texas we don't have basements (the water table is amazingly high) and it is too hot and humid to store your food in the garage. We have to come up with creative places to store our food. I have several beds with cans of wheat underneath them...and I have a couple of friends who have taken a whole room and made it into a food storage room.

I am actually embarrassed of this picture because this was by far the messiest room in my house...we started by taking all these boxes and moving them to our bedroom.



Joe built these all by himself, at night when the kids were asleep. Occasionally I would help...or worse...supervise!

When the cabinets got to this stage, we took all of the food we had (we had more by the time they were done) and we organized it. I had wanted shelves so that I could rotate my food storage and use it. When we went through our foods, however, we labeled the expiration dates on all of the boxes of food. Most of our food doesn't expire for 15+ years. For the amount of effort it takes to go to the cannery and can food into a #10 can, it makes sense NOT to rotate the basics....just go to the store and buy it as we need it...and then as we near the expiration date we can rotate it then.
The shelves on the left hold the super pails, and the ones in the back hold the boxes of #10 cans. I also have room for one of those pantry can rotators, and a place to store my canned meat... and waxed cheese (if I can figure out how to get it to work). I even got doors and molding on my cupboards. Joe found a website that made the doors for about $20 shipped. That's not a lot more than making them himself!

Didn't he do a fantastic job?

11 comments:

Kelly Vowles said...

He did!!! I love that you can't see what's inside. I always take it for granted that food storage has to look like shelves full of food storage.

Texas Harveys said...

Beautiful. We are impressed

Sylvia said...

Wow...yeah, that is amazing...Go, Go, Go Joseph!!

Bethany said...

Yes, he did -- fabulous!

I'm totally with you on being envious of UT homes with basements and cold storage rooms. So Cal is just as bad (if not worse) than where you are. No linen closets, tiny, tiny garages, etc., etc. We've had to get creative with the food storage, too.

I love your new cupboards!

(Oh, and holy smokes, if that was your worst room, you're amazing.)

Lana Lulu Handmade said...

WOW! I love it! Joe did a really great job!

Jessica said...

I am impressed on SOOO many levels. First of all, your food storage collection dwarfs mine! Secondly, great job, Joe! That's quite amazing. We, too, have a high water table and very few basements, but we are not nearly that handy. I'm sure it turned out so well because Nanette was the job foreman, right?

Brigette Little said...

Completely awesome - I wish we had a place to do something like that!

Julia said...

So very awesome! You think he could come build some in our under the stairs storage area? :)

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Awesome!! He did a great job!

Juliana S said...

it looks terrific.

Koni Frost said...

IT LOOKS AMAZING! Sooo impressed!

AWESOME JOB JOE!