Saturday, December 11, 2010

Persimmon Strawberry Freezer Jam

Every year for neighbor gifts, we make freezer jam. Last year we bought some land that had a persimmon tree on it. Unfortunately, we have the Hachiya type which means it has astringent properties. If you eat it without first freezing it, it makes your mouth feel a little puckered and dry. I don't want to waste the fruit, so last year I made persimmon freezer jam. The first bite was great, but then after a few more bites, it really was kind of a bland jam. This year we tried something different- strawberry persimmon freezer jam.

I used a recipe I found for peach strawberry freezer jam, but substituted persimmons for the peach. First I froze all of the persimmons to destroy the tannins in the fruit. This made them very mushy and easy to use for jam.

Here is the recipe-

2 cups sliced frozen strawberries
1 1/4 cups previously frozen persimmons
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup

I chopped the fruit roughly with my food processor. I then followed the recipe in the pectin container. It turned out very nice. It tastes very similar to strawberry jam, but has a subtle sweet taste in the background!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You should plant a Fuyu variety -- they're great plain!

Kim said...

Yum- too bad I'm not your neighbor this year...