I heard we were having a total solar eclipse in the spring and that Austin would be in the path of totality. Since Joe was supposed to be living in Austin and the kids would be within a few hours of it, I told them many months in advance that they would be missing school and we would all make sure we went out to see it. I told all of my students that I was canceling classes for it and they would get extra credit if they went to see it. Everyone thought I was a little crazy about the whole thing. We still went and did it. We stayed at our Airbnb. The Airbnb was not in the path of totality, so we got up and started driving west until we were sure that we would be in the path of totality. Macy and Ellie's boyfriend, Jace, also came on the trip with us. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day, so we were afraid that we wouldn't get the full effect. We ended up pulling off to the side of a country road. We all donned our eclipse glasses and waited. It was cloudy, but it was still super cool. It got dark, the automatic lights on the nearby fences went on. We saw the ring around the sun, mostly through the clouds. It got a little colder. The birds were quiet. Overall, it was definitely worth the experience.
Someone elses picture they got:

No comments:
Post a Comment