Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Michael's Senior Trip

 When I asked Michael what he wanted to do for his senior trip and he said he wanted to see a shuttle launch in South Texas.  I asked if maybe he would want to go to the space center in Florida and see a launch there and also go to Harry Potter world.  We looked on the calendar and saw that the Falcon Heavy and another launch were scheduled to launch at the beginning of June so we went ahead and booked a trip. Between the time we booked the trip and a couple of weeks before it was time to go, all the launches got canceled or switched around.  There were still two launches scheduled from when we were in town, but we had to switch our days at the parks, but we did.

We first went to Universal Studios Orlando where they have Harry Potter world.  We stayed in the expensive Universal Hotel so that we could get in early and have fast pass access to most of the rides.  It made all the difference for us getting onto rides.


Since I get such bad motion sickness, I was limited on the rides I could ride, but I rode al that I could.  The others Joe and Michael rode on.  Our favorite was Hagrid's magical motorcycle ride.



Michael also really liked the Harry Potter part of the parks- it is also very magical, especially if you grew up reading about that world.

After two days at the parks, we were exhausted!  We slept in the next day and went and did an escape room.  We escaped in the time allotted.

Then we went out towards the Kennedy Space Center to see a rocket launch.  Of the two scheduled, one got postponed, so there was only one that was scheduled to launch while we were there.  We found a beach that had a clear view and we settled in to watch.  After a little while, they closed off half the beach and we staked out a spot at the front of the viewable area.  Lots of people joined us and waited.


The launch was cool. The jet fire from the rocket was so much brighter than my camera could capture on its video.  It was so quiet and almost surreal to watch.  The sound wave was delayed and that was interesting to experience as well.
The next day we spent at the Kennedy Space Center.  Michael enjoyed all of the stuff and knew way more about everything he saw than even the signs told us.  Incidentally, my BYU roommate happened to be staying in the same hotel as us and I got to go see her that night, I hadn't seen her for 20 years!




No comments: